Important Dates & Information
* Wednesday, April 23rd: Deadline to enter your volunteer hours as of March 31, 2014. Please visit the following website https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WQB3N65 and enter your Family Name and your approximate volunteer hours. You can look at your child's White Envelope to get the number. Thank you very much for the Volunteer Work that you are doing at Williams!!
* Friday, April 25th 5:30-8pm Splash of Art and Music, stay for the Movie, 'Wreck It Ralph' at Dusk. Road Dogs Gourmet, Gold Rush Eatery and Yogurtland will be there. Remember to bring chairs, blankets and jackets for the movie. We need lots of help hanging the Art starting on Monday 4/21, and to set-up the event on Friday after school. Please sign up here http://williamscommunity.ivolunteer.com/event_385
* Tuesday, May 13th 6:30pm in the Cafeteria: You are invited to the Williams Band and Orchestra Spring Concert
* May 15-23: - Spring Book Fair! We need lots of help with this event! Please sign up on ivolunteer at http://williamscommunity.ivolunteer.com/event_359
* Friday, May 16th 4-7pm Heritage Day, Holidays Around the World!, Come visit all the Booths and Watch all the Cultural Performances! Sign up to help here http://williamscommunity.ivolunteer.com/event_371
* Saturday, May 17th 9am at Castillero Middle School - Relay for Life 24 Hour Event - All proceeds benefit the American Cancer Society. Join one of the 'Williams Whales' teams http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?fr_id=56308&pg=team&team_id=1599214. Buy Raffle tickets for $1 by 5/17 for a chance to win a Child's Electric Car. There will also be drawings each Friday for smaller items. To place your order write your name, student and teachers name on an envelope with your cash or check made out to 'Relay for Life' write 'Williams Whales' in the memo section and drop it off in the Box in the Office. Tracey Cressio will send the Raffle Ticket stubs home through your child, she will fill out the other portion of the ticket for you. Volunteer to help at our booth, sign up here http://williamscommunity.ivolunteer.com/event_437
* Friday, May 30th 4:30pm End of the Year Carnival: Lanyards will go on sale May 1st - May 16th for $15. They will be sold for $20 at the event. Sign Up to Volunteer for Your Class Booth, a 30 minute shift here http://williamscommunity.ivolunteer.com/event_372 . Teens volunteer here http://williamscommunity.ivolunteer.com/event_373 . Two Gourmet Food Trucks will be at this fun event. The 5th Grade/Kinder Sing will take place at this event.
* Adventures in Writing Camp, June 9th-20th 9am-3pm at Williams, Mrs. Yanai and Mrs. McIsaac will be teaching and your child will create his/her own eBook. 5% tuition savings to Williams families. To redeem the credit, visit http://www.AIWcamp.com and enter “WINS” in the Promo Code field at checkout - click here for the flyer http://www.williamscommunity.com/storage/community-building-events/writingflyer.pdf
* Math Enrichment Summer Program June 16th-July 24th, Enroll by March 2nd to get a $100 discount. Program takes place a Leland High School TK-High School 9am-3pm (before and after care available). Math Enrichment is one of our major sponsors.We bought our iPad carts from them at a discount, they donated an iPad Mini to our Raffle, and donated 2 Summer Programs to our Auction. Click here http://www.williamscommunity.com/storage/admin-publicity-team/2014%20MATH%20ENRICHMENT%20FLYER.pdf for the flyer and for enrollment info.
* After School Enrichment Activities http://sjusd.org/williams/student-programs/after-school-enrichment/
* Read the Principal's corner
* See the Williams calendar http://sjusd.org/williams/school-information/calendar/
* Jumping Up After School Program: is enrolling students! They will give 2% back to Williams with each enrollement, just say you are from Williams. They offer School Bus pickup from Williams, After School Program until 7pm, Homework Center, Math Enrichment & MPM, English Writing with Mrs. Mirabeau (former Williams teacher), Chinese, Math Olympiad & GATE, Critical Reading, Go Chess, Lego Robotics, and free all day service for spring & winter break weeks. Call them at 408-323-8388 or email at email@example.com to enroll or for more info.
* Akins Collision Center: Is giving back 2% to Williams when you get your car repaired with them. They are located on Redmond & Meridian - 1341 Redmond Ave - 408-268-3814, go to Akins Collision http://www.callakins.com/ for more info.
* Tune your Piano and help raise funds for WINS: Charistune Piano Tuning, Repairing, Regulating service - I will donate 10% back to Williams for the first time use and 5% for any subsequent appointments made. Please contact at firstname.lastname@example.org or through my website contact form at www.charistune.com. Please mention you are from Williams when you book an appointment. You can look up my reviews on Charistune on Yelp.
* Kym Ng, a Simply Music Piano Teacher, teaches a revolutionary, playing-based piano method which enables students to play great-sounding contemporary, classical, gospel, blues, accompaniment pieces, and improvisation - immediately from their very first lessons. You may contact Kym through her website http://www.almadentpianostudio.com or 408-410-1597. A one time $50 donation will be made to Williams WINS when a Williams student enrolls.
* America's Best Karate Promotion: ABK http://www.almadenkarate.com/ would like to give a free month to all families that donated to WINS that are new to ABK to try out Martial Arts, Fitness Self Defense, or Pilates.
* Tiffani's Nail Lounge is giving back 15% to Williams, 5965 Almaden Expy, Suite 135 (next to Almaden Valley Aesthetics) 408-268-8795, Open 7 days a week Monday to Sunday 9am-7:30pm and Sunday 10am-6pm, Bring this Coupon http://www.williamscommunity.com/storage/fundraising-programs/Tiffanis%20Nail%20Lounge%20COUPON%20for%20Williams.pdf and make sure they know you are from Williams when you walk in.
* Glamplaza, http://glamplaza.com/ specializing in Women's Clothing & Accessories is giving everyone from Williams 25% off and 10% back to Williams. Use the discount code Williams25 when you check out.
* Thank you to our Corporate Sponsors: They have helped us raise more than $15k http://www.williamscommunity.com/storage/fundraising-programs/CORPORATE%20SPONSORS.2013.14.8.29.pdf
* Splash by a Whale: Have a birthday or other special event coming up in your house? Order your Splashed by a Whale and give someone a Whale of a Surprise when they wake up to find cute little smiling whales set-up in the front yard and a personal message left at their door. Order now to make sure you get that special date on our calendar...the whales get pretty busy during the year! $20 either via paypal or check. http://www.williamscommunity.com/splashed-by-a-whale/
* Shop Amazon and earn FREE money for Williams WINS! We have raised $197.88 so far. Just click here http://www.amazon.com/?&tag=willwinsfoun-20&camp=15345&creative=331689&linkCode=ur1&adid=0VZKJ05R4XGPGJ9EPEDZ&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.williamscommunity.com%2F to get to Amazon's home page, or click the Amazon banner on the Wins' home page. Remember to pass along the link to your friends and family. Thanks for your support. If you have any questions about Amazon, read the FAQ http://www.williamscommunity.com/storage/fundraising-free-4-williams/Amazon_Associates_FAQ_0913.pdf
If you have any questions please contact Srividya Sunderamurthy email@example.com
* Williams Gift Card Program: Sold Wednesday mornings from 8:45-9:15am under the shade structure and after school by the lunch tables 2:45-3:15pm. We are selling cards in stock and taking special orders (orders will be placed once a month, at the end of the month). Proceeds benefit next year's 5th Grade Science Camp. Any 4th grade family that places a special order, the profits will go directly to that student for science camp fundraising. If you have any question please contact Ladan at firstname.lastname@example.org or Amy at email@example.com.
* Sign up for eScrip and earn free money for Williams: Sign up on www.escrip.com. It’s quick and easy! Click “sign-up,” and select Williams Elementary Group ID 137106631. Register your Safeway card, debit card, and credit cards. The first 100 people to print out a copy of their Registration/Renewal and turn it into the eScrip bin in the office or email the screen shot to Lisa Macintosh firstname.lastname@example.org will receive a Williams 2013/2014 Directory (delivered to your child's teacher). Use your debit card/check/cash at Safeway, credit cards will no longer count.
* Project Cornerstone: This month’s ABC book: “Nobody Knew What To Do” by Becky Ray McCain tells the story of how one child found the courage to be an UPstander and tell a teacher about a fellow student who was being picked on and bullied by children in school.
Goals of lesson:
• Identify caring adults who provide support and positive communication.
• Teach students how to tell and make a report.
• Use positive self-talk to boost personal power in interpersonal relationships.
• Role model UPstander responses to support each other.
• Create a caring, safe school environment for all by teaching adults on school campuses how to respond to student reporting.
• Generate ways to be UPstanders when faced with cyberbullying.
To reinforce this lesson at home:
- Be the one your child can come to when they need to be heard. Listen and be aware of situations that need further attention.
- Stay calm and gather information by asking questions. In most instances, you can help your child identify and state the problem. “So Jack is picking on you at recess. What are some things you/we might do?” Help your child see their personal power is in how they choose to react.
- Discuss the potential consequences of the chosen strategy. “If you go to the teacher what would happen?” Look at 2 or 3 strategies and consequences and have your child choose one.
- Reassure your child. Thank them for sharing their worries and tell them that you will be “there” when they need help. Check back later to see if the strategy is working.
- If you are not sure what to say or do, reassure your child you will find a way to help and get back to them. Follow through on your promises.
When you “catch” kids modeling positive behaviors...Notice, Name it, and Celebrate it!
If you'd like more information about learning more about Project Cornerstone, please contact BJ Bushur at email@example.com or Ziem Neubert at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on the program: www.projectcornerstone.org.
* Williams GATE mailing list - Parents of all 3rd and 5th grade GATE students are invited to join the GATE mailing list. Here is the link to the yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WilliamsGATE_mailinglist/info.
To join the group, please provide your GATE student's name, grade, teacher name, and submit your request online. PLEASE DO NOT request anyone to manually add you to the group. There might be some delay to have your request approved. Please be patient, as long as you have provided all the information, your join request WILL be approved and you will start receiving messages from the group.
* Math Olympiad - Williams will have 2 teams compete in this year's Math Olympiad. Participating students are required to take 5 math tests. Details on the competition and how to sign up will be announced to the GATE mailing list soon.
We are in the process of planning other exciting GATE activities for the rest of the school year. Please join the Yahoo group to stay informed of upcoming events.
* 4th & 5th Grade Band/Orchestra - Music Lessons after school - Instrumental music lessons will be offered two times a week to Williams 4th and 5th grade students after school on Tues & Thurs. The classes will be taught by Joan Macguire, a retired instrumental music teacher.
*Our Online Direcory is now LIVE!! Please click here https://www.myschoolanywhere.com/directory-login.a5w to acess our new online Directory. Click here for the mobile directory https://www.myschoolanywhere.com/mobile-login.a5w. Directions to download the Directory to your mobile device. http://www.williamscommunity.com/storage/admin-team/Directory%20Icon%20on%20your%20Smart%20Phone.pdf If you did not confirm your family information in a previous eConfirmation email link, please check your information in the live online Directory. Once in the online Directory, you will be able to add/edit your family information at any time. Please check the 'CONFIRMED' box in the last tab, so we know everything is correct. If you would rather not be listed in the online and printed Directory, please be sure to check the appropriate boxes in the "Display" tab. Temp passwords have been emailed to each parent from email@example.com. If you did not receive your temporary password please contact Jen Grove at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Connect to Dr. Blizzard's Twitter Feed https://twitter.com/Docblizzard
* Join Yahoo Groups to communicate with fellow Williams parents and staff. Share and exchange information related to school, activities, recommendations, community concerns, and more. Just click the Yahoo Groups icon on the home page or click here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WilliamsSchool/ to become a member. Questions about Yahoo Groups? Contact Ashley Cappelletti (Yahoo Moderator) at email@example.com.
Volunteer Operations Team
* Need more volunteer hours, but don't have time during the day? Join the SPLASH BY A WHALE team. When we have an order, your job would be to go set-up the whales in someone's front yard during the late evening. After their splash is over, you collect the whales and store them back at your house for the month. 2 Hours per splash -- number of splashes per month vary depending on orders. SUPER FUN! SUPER EASY! Sign-up now! http://williamscommunity.ivolunteer.com/event_361. If you have questions on the process, contact Heather at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Be part of the Positive Playground Support Team at lunch time from 11:45am-1:10pm http://williamscommunity.ivolunteer.com/event_363
* Volunteer for all Williams Events and activities http://williamscommunity.i-volunteeronline.com/
Community & Sponsor Events
* March 28, April 4, 11, 25, May 2, 9 (no session April 18) - Take It Personally Six Week Workshop 9-10:30am at Bret Harte (drop in for the first 2 sessions, bring a friend!). This workshop helps adults understand and make a stronger commitment to supporting young people and provides tools, exercises and strategies to help participants fulfill their commitment. Click here for the flyer, Sign up here http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0945ABA72D6-take
* April 12 9:30-12noon Spring Egg Hunt at Almaden Lake sponsored by the CIty of San Jose, click here for the flyer and more info http://www.williamscommunity.com/storage/community-building-events/Spring%20Egg%20Hunt.pdf