Important Dates & Information
* Wednesday, March 5th - Walk to School Day! Last Wednesday's Walk to School day got rained out, we have rescheduled it to Wednesday, March 5th. Students should meet under the Shade Structure to be counted and receive rewards.
* Tuesday, March 11th - Family FUNdraiser at Baja Fresh 1008 Blossom Hill Rd. from 12noon-9pm. They will donate 15% back to Williams. Dine in or take out. Bring the flyer, print it here http://www.williamscommunity.com/storage/fundraising-events/Baja%20Fresh%20Flyer.pdf
* March 17th - Crazy Hair Day! Students may spray their hair a color at home and come to school with crazy hair Students should wear their regular school uniform (No Green/St. Patricks day shirts or socks)
* Friday, March 21st: Walk 4 Values and Family Picnic Day, Lunch Times: TK & Kinder 11:56am, 1st & 2nd 12:06pm, 3rd-5th 12:26pm. Come have lunch with your child on the grass.
* Friday, March 21st: Deadline to sign up your child for an instrument playing time (there is a piano available) or vocal time for the Splash of Art & Music on April 25th 5:30-8. Sign up on iVolunteer here (space is limited): http://williamscommunity.ivolunteer.com/event_433
* March 26th - Walk to School Day! Check in under the shade structure to be counted and get rewards.
* 4th & 5th Grade Science Fair Parent Info. Download and print the Science Journal here. View Photos From Last Year's Science Fair.
Science Fair Questions and Answers updated 1/31/14
Wednesday, March 26th 7pm in the Cafeteria is the 4th & 5th Grade Science Fair
Sign up to help with the Science Fair here http://williamscommunity.ivolunteer.com/event_431
* Friday, April 25th 5:30-8pm Splash of Art and Music, stay for the Movie at Dusk
* Tuesday, May 13th 6:30pm in the Cafeteria: You are invited to the Williams Band and Orchestra Spring Concert
* Friday, May 16th 4-7pm Heritage Day
* Raffle Fundraiser raised $5,595! Gia Constantino won both the Lap Top and the iPad and RaeAnn Caparello won the Mini iPad. The Student drawing will be on 2/14. The ice cream party for those that sold 2 books will be 2/28. Thank you for supporting this fundraiser! Questions contact Debbi Bettinger at firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Crab & Pasta Feed with Silent and Live Auction raised $43,707 in the Auction, $2,455 in the Dessert Auction. More numbers are coming in for the entire event. Thank you to everyone who came and supported this event.
* Math Enrichment Summer Program June 16th-July 24th, Enroll by March 2nd to get a $100 discount. Program takes place a Leland High School TK-High School 9am-3pm (before and after care available). Math Enrichment is one of our major sponsors.We bought our iPad carts from them at a discount, they donated an iPad Mini to our Raffle, and donated 2 Summer Programs to our Auction. Click here http://www.williamscommunity.com/storage/admin-publicity-team/2014%20MATH%20ENRICHMENT%20FLYER.pdf for the flyer and for enrollment info.
* After School Enrichment Activities http://sjusd.org/williams/student-programs/after-school-enrichment/
* Read the Principal's corner
As of January we have raised $249,563, our goal is to raise $291,554.Thank you for supporting all the fundraisers!
* Tax Season is here. Let the CPA and CTEC Registered Tax Preparers from Cereus Investment, Inc. assist you with your 2013 Tax Preparation and filing, and raise money for Williams Elementary School. We will give 15% off our standard price to Williams Families and Friends and 15% of the proceeds back to Williams School. Just tell us that you are from Williams when you book your appointment. Visit our website at http://www.cereusinvestment.com, call us at (408) 858-3742 or email us at email@example.com
* Jumping Up After School Program: is enrolling students! They will give 2% back to Williams with each enrollement, just say you are from Williams. They offer School Bus pickup from Williams, After School Program until 7pm, Homework Center, Math Enrichment & MPM, English Writing with Mrs. Mirabeau (former Williams teacher), Chinese, Math Olympiad & GATE, Critical Reading, Go Chess, Lego Robotics, and free all day service for spring & winter break weeks. Call them at 408-323-8388 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org to enroll or for more info.
* Akins Collision Center: Is giving back 2% to Williams when you get your car repaired with them. They are located on Redmond & Meridian - 1341 Redmond Ave - 408-268-3814, go to Akins Collision http://www.callakins.com/ for more info.
* Tune your Piano and help raise funds for WINS: Charistune Piano Tuning, Repairing, Regulating service - I will donate 10% back to Williams for the first time use and 5% for any subsequent appointments made. Please contact at email@example.com or through my website contact form at www.charistune.com. Please mention you are from Williams when you book an appointment. You can look up my reviews on Charistune on Yelp.
* America's Best Karate Promotion: ABK http://www.almadenkarate.com/ would like to give a free month to all families that donated to WINS that are new to ABK to try out Martial Arts, Fitness Self Defense, or Pilates.
* Tiffani's Nail Lounge is giving back 15% to Williams, 5965 Almaden Expy, Suite 135 (next to Almaden Valley Aesthetics) 408-268-8795, Open 7 days a week Monday to Sunday 9am-7:30pm and Sunday 10am-6pm, Bring this Coupon http://www.williamscommunity.com/storage/fundraising-programs/Tiffanis%20Nail%20Lounge%20COUPON%20for%20Williams.pdf and make sure they know you are from Williams when you walk in.
* Glamplaza, http://glamplaza.com/ specializing in Women's Clothing & Accessories is giving everyone from Williams 25% off and 10% back to Williams. Use the discount code Williams25 when you check out.
* Thank you to our Corporate Sponsors: They have helped us raise more than $15k http://www.williamscommunity.com/storage/fundraising-programs/CORPORATE%20SPONSORS.2013.14.8.29.pdf
* Splash by a Whale: Have a birthday or other special event coming up in your house? Order your Splashed by a Whale and give someone a Whale of a Surprise when they wake up to find cute little smiling whales set-up in the front yard and a personal message left at their door. Order now to make sure you get that special date on our calendar...the whales get pretty busy during the year! $20 either via paypal or check. http://www.williamscommunity.com/splashed-by-a-whale/
* Shop Amazon and earn FREE money for Williams WINS! We have raised $197.88 so far. Just click here http://www.amazon.com/?&tag=willwinsfoun-20&camp=15345&creative=331689&linkCode=ur1&adid=0VZKJ05R4XGPGJ9EPEDZ&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.williamscommunity.com%2F to get to Amazon's home page, or click the Amazon banner on the Wins' home page. Remember to pass along the link to your friends and family. Thanks for your support. If you have any questions about Amazon, read the FAQ http://www.williamscommunity.com/storage/fundraising-free-4-williams/Amazon_Associates_FAQ_0913.pdf
If you have any questions please contact Srividya Sunderamurthy firstname.lastname@example.org
* Williams Gift Card Program: Sold Wednesday mornings from 8:45-9:15am under the shade structure and after school by the lunch tables 2:45-3:15pm. We are selling cards in stock and taking special orders (orders will be placed once a month, at the end of the month). Proceeds benefit next year's 5th Grade Science Camp. Any 4th grade family that places a special order, the profits will go directly to that student for science camp fundraising. If you have any question please contact Ladan at email@example.com or Amy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Sign up for eScrip and earn free money for Williams: Sign up on www.escrip.com. It’s quick and easy! Click “sign-up,” and select Williams Elementary Group ID 137106631. Register your Safeway card, debit card, and credit cards. The first 100 people to print out a copy of their Registration/Renewal and turn it into the eScrip bin in the office or email the screen shot to Lisa Macintosh email@example.com will receive a Williams 2013/2014 Directory (delivered to your child's teacher). Use your debit card/check/cash at Safeway, credit cards will no longer count.
* Project Cornerstone: This month’s ABC book: “Nobody Knew What To Do” by Becky Ray McCain tells the story of how one child found the courage to be an UPstander and tell a teacher about a fellow student who was being picked on and bullied by children in school.
Goals of lesson:
• Identify caring adults who provide support and positive communication.
• Teach students how to tell and make a report.
• Use positive self-talk to boost personal power in interpersonal relationships.
• Role model UPstander responses to support each other.
• Create a caring, safe school environment for all by teaching adults on school campuses how to respond to student reporting.
• Generate ways to be UPstanders when faced with cyberbullying.
To reinforce this lesson at home:
- Be the one your child can come to when they need to be heard. Listen and be aware of situations that need further attention.
- Stay calm and gather information by asking questions. In most instances, you can help your child identify and state the problem. “So Jack is picking on you at recess. What are some things you/we might do?” Help your child see their personal power is in how they choose to react.
- Discuss the potential consequences of the chosen strategy. “If you go to the teacher what would happen?” Look at 2 or 3 strategies and consequences and have your child choose one.
- Reassure your child. Thank them for sharing their worries and tell them that you will be “there” when they need help. Check back later to see if the strategy is working.
- If you are not sure what to say or do, reassure your child you will find a way to help and get back to them. Follow through on your promises.
When you “catch” kids modeling positive behaviors...Notice, Name it, and Celebrate it!
If you'd like more information about learning more about Project Cornerstone, please contact BJ Bushur at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ziem Neubert at email@example.com. For more information on the program: www.projectcornerstone.org.
* Williams GATE mailing list - Parents of all 3rd and 5th grade GATE students are invited to join the GATE mailing list. Here is the link to the yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WilliamsGATE_mailinglist/info.
To join the group, please provide your GATE student's name, grade, teacher name, and submit your request online. PLEASE DO NOT request anyone to manually add you to the group. There might be some delay to have your request approved. Please be patient, as long as you have provided all the information, your join request WILL be approved and you will start receiving messages from the group.
* Math Olympiad - Williams will have 2 teams compete in this year's Math Olympiad. Participating students are required to take 5 math tests. Details on the competition and how to sign up will be announced to the GATE mailing list soon.
We are in the process of planning other exciting GATE activities for the rest of the school year. Please join the Yahoo group to stay informed of upcoming events.
* 4th & 5th Grade Band/Orchestra - Music Lessons after school - Instrumental music lessons will be offered two times a week to Williams 4th and 5th grade students after school on Tues & Thurs. The classes will be taught by Joan Macguire, a retired instrumental music teacher.
* Order your 2013-2014 Yearbook: You can recall the school year with fond memories! Order online http://www.yearbooksonsale.com/, Click on "Buy Your Yearbook", then type in the school and city: Williams Elementary School, San Jose. Or fill out the form http://www.williamscommunity.com/storage/admin-team/year-book/Yearbook%20Order%20Form%202013-14%20-%20Jan%20Notice.pdf and submit a check made out to 'Williams Wins' for $30 to the bin in the office. Deadline to order is Feb. 28th.
*Our Online Direcory is now LIVE!! Please click here https://www.myschoolanywhere.com/directory-login.a5w to acess our new online Directory. Click here for the mobile directory https://www.myschoolanywhere.com/mobile-login.a5w. Directions to download the Directory to your mobile device. http://www.williamscommunity.com/storage/admin-team/Directory%20Icon%20on%20your%20Smart%20Phone.pdf If you did not confirm your family information in a previous eConfirmation email link, please check your information in the live online Directory. Once in the online Directory, you will be able to add/edit your family information at any time. Please check the 'CONFIRMED' box in the last tab, so we know everything is correct. If you would rather not be listed in the online and printed Directory, please be sure to check the appropriate boxes in the "Display" tab. Temp passwords have been emailed to each parent from firstname.lastname@example.org. If you did not receive your temporary password please contact Jen Grove at email@example.com
* Connect to Dr. Blizzard's Twitter Feed https://twitter.com/Docblizzard
* Join Yahoo Groups to communicate with fellow Williams parents and staff. Share and exchange information related to school, activities, recommendations, community concerns, and more. Just click the Yahoo Groups icon on the home page or click here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WilliamsSchool/ to become a member. Questions about Yahoo Groups? Contact Ashley Cappelletti (Yahoo Moderator) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Operations Team
* Need more volunteer hours, but don't have time during the day? Join the SPLASH BY A WHALE team. When we have an order, your job would be to go set-up the whales in someone's front yard during the late evening. After their splash is over, you collect the whales and store them back at your house for the month. 2 Hours per splash -- number of splashes per month vary depending on orders. SUPER FUN! SUPER EASY! Sign-up now! http://williamscommunity.ivolunteer.com/event_361. If you have questions on the process, contact Heather at email@example.com.
* Want to reward your kids for good behavior at school? Volunteer to help with Popcorn Club. This is an easy way to get volunteer hours and work from your home at the same time. Popping corn for the kids takes 30 minutes and you get a full hour of volunteer time! Check it out http://williamscommunity.ivolunteer.com/event_366
* Be part of the Positive Playground Support Team at lunch time from 11:45am-1:10pm http://williamscommunity.ivolunteer.com/event_363
* Volunteer for all Williams Events and activities http://williamscommunity.i-volunteeronline.com/
Community & Sponsor Events
* Girls on the Run Program Comming Soon! Begins the week of March 3, 2014, and lasts for 10 weeks, culminating in the 11th Annual Girls on the Run of Silicon Valley 5K on Saturday, May 17, 2014, at Vasona Park in Los Gatos. The Williams Team will meet on Tuesdays from 2:00-3:30 and Thursdays from 3:00-4:30. There will be no lessons the week of spring break.
Program registration will be ONLINE ONLY at www.gotrsv.org and will open at 8:00 am on SATURDAY, DECEMBER 7, 2013. Space is limited and girls will be registered on a first-come, first-served basis. When registering your daughter, please make sure to have the following information available: Insurance Information, Doctor's Contact Information, and Dentist's Contact Information. Once a program is full, please sign up for the waiting list as spots may open. Registration information will be available on the Girls on the Run of Silicon Valley website in November if you have questions about the process. Scholarships are available.